Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Write On Wednesdays. #WOW... Book Blog Hop. February 22nd 2012.

 
Welcome to Write On Wednesday's # WOW for February 22nd 2012.

Anyone can play along.  It's simple , (well it is once you've done it a few times). It takes very little time and presents a great opportunity to promote your own work and the work of an author you have recently been reading.

Just do the following:

  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • On YOUR BLOG site Share six (6) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page. (No more than 8 if possible)
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other #WOW  participants can add the book to their To Be Read Lists if they like your teasers!
  •  I also add more, such as the cover and buy link but that is completely optional. It just adds a bit of color to the post, but up to you entirely.

  • Then...you have the opportunity of sharing your own work by doing the same thing again all in the same post (See mine below)
  • Grab your own book
  • Share six (6) sentences on your BLOG. Share title, author...you get the drill.
  •  
  • WHEN you are finished and happy with your post publish it and link it to the Linky list appearing below this where it says......"You're next. Click here to enter."
  • Don't forget the object of this entire exercise is to reach new readers for the work you are promoting here YOUR OWN INCLUDED)... and to explore and perhaps follow new blogs. 
  •  
  • So you have the entire week to pop in to as many of the blogs on those listed below as you wish, and hopefully they will reciprocate. The end of the week should see more blogs added. This is a newish blog for me, so lets see if it takes off and gets new readers and followers for all the participants...and me of course.
MY PICK FOR THIS WEEK "Nothing Left To Want" by Kathleen McKenna:

 Teaser from the book:

I came here to the guest house to hide from the sounds of the rats, they scare me. It hasn’t helped much because now I can hear the horrible plunk, splash sounds they make when they go into the pool. Maybe they are thirsty; even the toilet bowls have dried up. There is no water, no electricity and no heat, for them … or me.
I am so cold and so frightened. I think I am going to die and I don’t want to die. I don’t know how to save myself and this time no one else is going to come and save me. No one alive cares about me.
 

My name is Carolyn - it’s a derivative of Carolina. When I was born my father bought his first football team to celebrate his first child. He paid half a billion dollars for the team and he told the stunned sports and financial worlds that it wasn’t worth ‘one hair on my little girl’s head, not that she has any hair yet'. I imagine that they all laughed sycophantically and went home and shook their heads in disgust. I get a lot of that. It's how people always react to my family’s name and to their money.


My own teaser for this week: "Faint Echoes Of Laughter" By Stacey Danson.
 The teaser:

Most of my demons and their causes had been dealt with…but not this place…never this place. My screams and pleas for mercy and help went unanswered inside those walls. It was here that I forever lost the ability to trust, and learned too early that human beings were capable of inflicting dreadful acts upon their own species.

I stood in that street in 2011 and I felt dizzy and once again fleetingly helpless. My stomach clenched and I felt the sour burn of bile in my mouth.

This had been a mistake.

I took one last look. She had died in that house. That was my only thought when I turned and walked away.

As dreadful as it sounds that thought gave me comfort.

I hated myself for feeling that way, yet I have been honest all the way along, no point in now trying to kid myself or anybody else that I had hoped she wouldn’t  meet a bad end. I wished for it on and off over many years. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment/review on any of the stories/poems contributed.